When complex environmental regulatory and litigation issues surface, clients rely on John J. McAleese to help them resolve those matters. A partner in the Environment & Energy Practice Group and Managing Partner of the Philadelphia office, John has helped corporations in such industries as energy, chemicals, manufacturing, and real estate development address their environmental compliance and litigation needs for more than 25 years. Drawing on his prior experience as a chemical engineer, John is able to quickly assess risks and liabilities and offer his clients reasoned guidance based on their business objectives. John has specifically helped clients by:
• Representing them in civil and administrative environmental litigation such as cost recovery actions under CERCLA (Superfund) and analogous state statutes, enforcement actions by federal and state environmental agencies, permit appeals and environmental contamination toxic tort cases.
• Advising clients on environmental issues that arise in real estate transactions including conducting environmental due diligence, negotiating environmental provisions within financing agreements and other transaction documents, and providing guidance on property transfer permitting and authorization requirements.
• Counseling clients on compliance with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
• Negotiating on their behalf with environmental regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
• Counseling clients on issues regarding insurance coverage for environmental risks.
John has been recognized in Chambers USA from 2009-2016. According to Chambers, he is praised by his clients for his technical background. One commentator notes: “He is very intelligent, articulate and calm.” He is praised for his “strategic view of matters” and his ability to “assert a client's position in a reasoned and compelling fashion.” He has also been recognized in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for 2008-2015 and has been listed in the 2003-2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America. Chambers is published by Chambers and Partners. Super Lawyers is published by Thomson Reuters. Best Lawyersis published by Best Lawyers in partnership with US News and World Report. A description of their selection process can be found in the respective links above. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.