McCarter & English, LLP seeks a Business Development Specialist. If you have the appropriate experience, we invite you to consider joining our team. Please send you resume and cover letter to the attention of Christine Lydon, Esq., at email@example.com.
The Business Development Specialist will support the Business Development Managers in executing the marketing plans and initiatives of the Bankruptcy, Corporate, Environment & Energy, Real Estate, and Tax practices at McCarter. Resident in Newark or New York, this role will be critical in helping drive new business opportunities and raising the profiles of the attorney in those practices. This role will require regular interaction with partners and occasional travel to other offices. Specific duties include:
- Pitch Books, Presentations and RFPs: Draft, customize, and produce pitch books, RFPs, and presentations by using the firm’s Proposal Pilot and Deals & Cases databases.
- New Business Research: Use the firm’s research tools to create competitive analysis on companies and industries. Collaborate with Business Development Managers and lawyers to identify legal services and cross selling opportunities for specific companies.
- Maintain Deals & Cases Database: Act as project manager for the updating of material and workflow for the Deals & Cases database. Work with lawyers and Business Development Managers to collect, draft, and get approvals for deal and case summaries to be used in practice descriptions and lawyer biographies. Update legacy experience records that were copied into the Deals & Cases database from old pitches and award submissions. Ensure summaries meet the firm’s style guidelines.
- Industry Submissions: Prepare submissions for key directory rankings, awards, and league tables.
- Content Management: Update website copy and various marketing communications materials; coordinate with communications specialist to prepare biographies and practice descriptions as needed. Proofread client alerts and various marketing communication pieces.
- Events: Assist the Business Development Managers with events and sponsorships as needed.
- Practice Group Coordination: Work with the Business Development Managers to help facilitate the practice group meeting agendas and materials. Assist in researching lateral attorney hires and integrating laterals into the firm.
- Budgets: Work with Business Development Managers to prepare and track annual Practice Group budgets.
- Be a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker who can take ownership of multiple projects and see them through with minimal oversight, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent writing and proofreading skills, with the ability to draft and summarize technical legal topics into plain English.
- Have a solid knowledge of legal (or related professional services) marketing practices, including business development, CRM, and marketing communications.
- Work well in a team environment. The successful candidate will join an existing team of professionals and will be expected to regularly collaborate with colleagues.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills, be able to handle a variety of personalities, and provide information with sensitivity and tact.
- Be proficient at Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Monitor Suite (or similar research tools).
- Be flexible and dedicated.
Education and Training Required
Bachelors Degree in marketing or a related field and at least five years experience in a law firm or similar professional services environment. Experience with transactional practices is strongly preferred.
About the Firm
McCarter & English, LLP’s lawyers and staff are an exceptionally skilled and committed group of professionals who have built on the firm’s distinguished tradition as trusted business counselors. Our clients range from cutting edge startups to nearly half of the Fortune 100 companies. Our down-to-earth culture drives long-lasting client relationships and a highly effective and collegial workplace. Our unwavering focus on our core values of excellence, teamwork and efficiency have been the primary reason for our success for 175 years.
McCarter & English, LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer