McCarter & English is actively seeking a Director of Benefits for any of its office locations. Newark preferred. If you have the appropriate experience, we invite you to consider joining our team. Please send resume and cover letter to the attention of Christine Lydon, Esq. at email@example.com.
This position provides strategic direction for, and hands on oversight of, the firm’s benefits programs, business services professionals, compensation process and employee total rewards. This position reports to the Chief HR Officer.
CANDIDATE MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ADMINISTRATION OF A SELF FUNDED MEDICAL PLAN, PREFERABLY IN A LAW FIRM SETTING.
- Responsible for delivery of all health and welfare programs and management of the defined contribution retirement plans, including policy formulation, communication, cost management and resource controls, management reporting, technology implementation, and compliance.
- Will co-manage 2 benefits professionals responsible for benefits administration and analysis, providing overall direction and supervision (along with the CHRO).
- Will direct employee and partner service activities including new hire benefits orientation; annual open enrollment; clarifying policies on benefits eligibility, coverage, and applicability of plan provisions; dealing with exceptional circumstances and unusual cases; collection and processing of enrollment data and claims information; benefits counseling and responses to partner, employee, and retiree inquiries.
- Will generate and review plans and propose design modifications to meet changing market conditions, industry trends, new regulatory requirements, and Firm objectives.
- Will evaluate new product and service offerings, and determine capabilities to integrate these products and services into existing plan offerings.
- Will work in collaboration with the Firm’s brokers to evaluate proposals from insurers and stay continually apprised of vendor issues when they surface, provide direction for resolution, seek consistency among multiple providers, and at times exert pressure and negotiate to ensure benefit programs are being administered as intended. Will lead and oversee the RFP analysis and negotiation process.
- Will develop materials and communicate employee benefit programs, their plan provisions, and proper procedures to access these programs. Will ensure compliance with ERISA standards for meeting legal compliance requirements for disclosure to plan participants
- .Will provide benefits management knowledge and expertise with regard to plan design to optimize financial solutions for the Firm; will work collaboratively with members of the Finance department.
- Will oversee all aspects of the Firm’s leave policies (FML, ADA, childcare, bar leave, etc.).
- Will be responsible for the preparation and management of the annual benefits budget for all benefits plans and other department expenses.
- Will oversee and manage all benefits analysis and reporting; provide leadership and guidance in the innovation of new analysis and reporting as new requirements are mandated or as business needs evolve.
- Will continuously reviews benefits trade periodicals and compliance publications to remain current on benefit plan legal requirements; and constantly monitors proposed benefits legislation, and pronouncements from regulatory agencies. Ensures operational compliance with governmental regulations (ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, DOL etc.). Oversees preparation of the 5500’s, SPDs, ACA filing, Workers’ Compensation filings, etc.
- Will manage the implementation and ongoing maintenance of the Workday HCM Benefits module, in conjunction with HRIS and other departments. Will participate in the development of policies and procedures for managing benefits. Will comply with, create, maintain, and use appropriate physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to guard Protected Health Information (“PHI”) maintained by the Firm in full compliance with HIPAA and other applicable rules and regulations.
- Will provide strategic leadership to the Firm’s wellness initiatives and oversee programming, communications, and enhanced offerings.
- Manage policy responsibilities by ensuring that any changes in plan administration is communicated (internally and externally) and key documents reflect current policies.
EXPERIENCE WITH MANAGEMENT OF A SELF FUNDED MEDICAL PLAN, PREFERABLY IN A LAW FIRM SETTING.
- 8+ years of industry experience is required in or related to health plans, insurance industry, and/or benefits consulting with increasing responsibility, as well as 5+ years track record of success in managing individuals, projects and teams.
- In-depth familiarity with benefits administration.
- Experience with Workday a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and SHRM Certification.
- Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, possess strong organizational skills and prioritization skills, work independently, and meet urgent deadlines.
- Excellent written communication skills, including prior experience developing and documenting policies; excellent verbal communication skills, including preparing and conducting presentations.
McCarter & English, LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.