McCarter & English LLP is actively seeking a Legal Business Analyst for its New York or Washington, DC office. If you have the appropriate experience, we invite you to consider joining our team. Please send your resume and cover letter to the attention of Christine Lydon, Esq., at email@example.com.
Reports to: Client Value Manager
Department: Practice Development
Characteristics of the Class: Resident department expert on Structured Query Language (SQL), financial analysis, and database management. Responsible for analyzing and informing stakeholders across the firm on the performance of its Practice Groups and strategic business initiatives. Responsible for providing comprehensive financial guidance and support to the entire Client Value team to assist the department with improving profitability, operational efficiency, and overall organizational effectiveness. This position requires strong technical and project management skills.
- Responsible for management of department databases and development of financial reporting tools in support of practice group operations.
- Collaborate with Client Value Team, Practice Group leadership, and Firm management to establish benchmarks for measuring performance of Practice Groups and strategic business initiatives.
- Produce routine analyses to CSO, Firm Management, Practice Group leadership measuring and monitoring key performance metrics related Practice Group performance, including trends identified.
- Track and analyze revenue growth, profit margin, other measures of financial productivity at the timekeeper, client, matter, area of law, and industry levels, including trends identified.
- Support Client Value Team in modeling and measuring alternative pricing solutions and budget impacts.
- Work with Client Value Team to develop internal and external reporting tools to improve insights to performance of client/matter budgets and alternative pricing solutions.
- Develop and maintain system of client/matter performance alerts as directed by the Client Value Team for Billing Attorneys, members of the Client Value Team, other administrative departments, and Practice Group leadership.
- Monitor compliance and business hygiene goals with established phase/task code sets and other critical Client Value Team data points.
- Ascertain any opportunity to improve overall profitability, providing recommendations for changes in service delivery aligned with practice group goals, to include analysis of staffing leverage, margin improvement, costs of service delivery, and performance against established quality metrics
- Pinpoint opportunities for utilizing premium rates or specialized pricing approaches.
- Develop user-friendly workflows for capturing critical data.
- Maintain confidentiality of firm financial matters.
- Contribute to team growth through strong team interactions, be comfortable accepting and providing constructive feedback, and be driven by a personal commitment to quality and timeliness.
- Three years of legal industry financial analysis and/or financial systems experience, including some previous experience in a Fortune 1000 corporate legal department or AMLaw 200 firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Intermediate SQL Server developer.
- Experience performing statistical analysis of large data sets and producing meaningful information/reports.
- Ability to perform comprehensive financial data analysis (including profitability analysis) and develop cost, pricing, and forecast models and reports.
- Experience with alternative fee arrangements and alternative staffing models.
- Strong client service skills and ability to understand and document client needs from a legal service delivery perspective.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with team members, partners, and colleagues.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Time spent on a pricing or LPM team.
- Experience with Elite Enterprise and/or 3E.
- Exposure to Intellistat or similar data warehousing platform
- JD, PMP, and/or MBA.
- Experience developing and managing complex budgets, analyzing variance data, and creating useful reporting tools
- Expert understanding of project management principles, including gathering, analyzing, and meeting scope requirements, testing, and quality assurance.
- Strong understanding of law firm key performance indicators.
Note: While the list of essential duties is intended to be as inclusive as possible, there may be other duties, which are essential to particular positions within the class.