McCarter & English is seeking a dynamic professional to lead its marketing and business development team for any of its office locations. The candidate must be an independent and innovative thinker with proven business development, strategic marketing and public relations skills that will promote the firm’s national reputation and prominence in market-leading practices and foster a culture of entrepreneurship, collaboration and inclusion within the firm. If you have the appropriate experience, we invite you to consider joining our team. Please send resume and cover letter to the attention of Christine Lydon, Esq. at email@example.com.
The Managing Director should be well-attuned to shifts in the industry and client demands for the creative, efficient and sustainable delivery of legal services in a competitive market, as well as the various tools, technologies and media that facilitate more frequent and effective client interaction. The Managing Director will be responsible for overseeing and driving the firm’s business development, marketing, client relations and public relations, implementing go to-market strategies in furtherance of the firm’s overall strategic plan.
As leader of the firm’s overall promotional efforts, the Managing Director is expected to be proactive and lead his/her team in accomplishing the following:
- Identifying, analyzing, and pursuing potential client engagement opportunities for the firm, both within the existing client base and from prospective clients. This will include research and market intelligence to identify emerging trends, the movement of competitors, and new client demands and expectations that can help guide the development of, and level of investment in, new practices and otherwise grow firm revenue.
- Collaborating with firm leadership and client service teams on the development of programs for client satisfaction surveys and targeted client visits.
- Working with partners to create profiles of target clients and corresponding business development strategies to engage those targets.
- Working with the firm’s practice group leaders and other partners to develop and execute upon individual and group-wide business plans.
- Implementing and overseeing business development training, including coaching as required for individual attorneys to sharpen their business development skills.
- Managing and auditing the RFP response process and working with partners to ensure consistency of quality in all business development pitches.
- Developing tools and techniques to facilitate and enhance firm cross-selling.
- Partnering with practice group leaders to support business development within their respective practice groups and monitor compliance with individual and group-wide business development plans.
- Promoting and helping to lead McCarter’s CSR, DEI, ESG and Pro Bono initiatives.
- Promoting the firm’s reputation and brand name recognition across the country and within target regions and industries through innovative and compelling marketing materials, social media, a distinctive and user-friendly website, web search optimization, thought leadership, as well as client events, sponsorships and media placement.
- Overseeing the firm’s public relations function, including the development of relationships with key media in each of the firm’s locations and supervision of any external public relations firms.
- Driving participation in key rankings (e.g., Chambers) and otherwise publicizing firm successes and accolades.
- Working with Practice Groups to ensure updated content for the group and group members on the website and in all firm marketing materials
- Communicating firm successes to a broad audience of legal services buyers.
- Directing the use of best practice CRM and other data management tools to collect, maintain and effectively utilize information on clients, prospective clients, referral sources, deal and case lists, alumni, and competitors in furtherance of the firm’s overall business development efforts.
- Tracking and measuring attorney business development productivity through revenue and profitability analysis.
- Providing practice management support to practice group leaders, such as organizing and planning group meetings/retreats, workload and utilization reporting, group level productivity analysis, and resource planning.
- Collaborating with colleagues across McCarter’s other operations teams, notably Strategic Growth, on compelling and informative marketing collateral in support of McCarter’s partner-level recruiting and Client Value on innovative fee arrangements;
- Recruiting, developing and managing a cohesive and geographically dispersed team of professionals and support staff capable of carrying out business development, research, data management, marketing and communications initiatives.
- Overseeing the firm’s business development budget and monitoring the ROI of business development investments and initiatives.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have prior experience leading the marketing and business development function at a major professional services firm. The Managing Director must possess excellent project management and analytical skills, with a strong knowledge of advanced marketing concepts, principles and practices. We are looking for a proactive and dynamic leader, capable of winning the confidence of, and galvanizing, busy and sophisticated legal professionals.
The successful candidate must likewise have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and must be able to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion. The position requires a thorough understanding of the business planning process for both individual partners and practice groups as well as all aspects of client relationships, firm strategy, and pricing. The candidate must be a team-player, capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously, and eager to do the work required to identify, pursue and win new business opportunities.
McCarter will consider candidates with exceptional professional credentials in any geography where the firm presently has an office. The Managing Director will work closely with practice group leaders and senior firm management on a routine basis. The Managing Director has firm-wide responsibility and will be expected to develop deep relationships and practice knowledge across the firm to accomplish their objectives. Travel to all firm locations as needed will be routinely expected.
McCarter & English, LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.