McCarter & English, LLP is seeking a Legal Assistant for its Newark office. If you have relevant experience, we would like you to consider joining our team. Please send your resume and cover letter to Christine Lydon, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
Under general supervision, performs responsible and confidential secretarial work and routine administrative duties for attorneys and performs related duties as required.
- Must be a team player, organized and able to multi-task in an extremely fast paced environment
- Transcribes legal briefs, correspondence, letters, and confidential memorandum
- Types a variety of legal documents from rough and oral drafts
- Court E-Filings
- Answers telephone calls, transfers calls to the appropriate staff and take messages in their absences
- Prepares, maintains and confirms daily work calendars and schedule meetings and appointments
- Assists with travel arrangements, internal correspondence, reimbursements for attorneys, paralegals
- Reads, sorts and ensures incoming mail is timely delivered; ensures outgoing mail is processed
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills
- Maintain attorneys’ legal confidential and administrative files
- Assist other Attorneys and Legal Assistants within the Group
- Proactively manage contacts in Outlook and Interaction
Training and Experience
- Three to five years of legal assistance experience. Must type a minimum of 70 words per minutes.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern legal office practices and procedures
- Considerable knowledge of legal documents preparation, legal terminology and court procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel, redline comparisons, BigHand (digital dictation)
- Considerable knowledge of effective proofreading
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
McCarter & English, LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.