McCarter & English, LLP is actively seeking a Business Development Manager for its New York, NY, Newark, NJ, Philadelphia, PA, Washington D.C. or Boston, MA offices. If you have the appropriate experience, we invite you to consider joining our team. Please send resume and cover letter to the attention of Christine Lydon, Esq. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The business development manager will support the Corporate and Tax practice groups initially, with the possibility of other practice groups being added, as well as projects within the department and firm as assigned. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing proposals, pitches, and other new business initiatives;
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the practice groups, including attorney and firm experience, industry/trade group organizations, trends, and clients;
- Ensuring that the marketing materials for each practice group are up to date, accurate and complete, including maintaining experience lists, descriptions, and other collateral;
- Handling directory, awards, league tables, and other submissions for assigned practice groups;
- Coordinating practice group meetings. This includes understanding efforts between practice subgroups within the main group, and with other groups to drive cross-selling.
- Developing business development and marketing plans for the assigned practice groups and relevant lawyers;
- Collaborating with the business development team to identify cross-selling opportunities and executing on strategies to expand key client relationships across the firm;
- Coaching and supporting lawyers in their business development and external/internal relationship-building efforts;
- Planning and oversight of events, CLEs, sponsorships, speaking and writing opportunities, and other targeted marketing activities;
- Collaborating on relevant PR, communications, and digital marketing initiatives including identifying topical issues and evaluating lawyers in a position to provide commentary or author articles;
- Creating key messaging for positioning in the market;
- Performing research on industry trends, prospective clients, and competitors’ marketing activities to identify issues which may impact upon clients’ businesses and recommend actions for capitalizing on them;
- Directing and managing marketing staff and resources in support of individual lawyer and practice group marketing efforts;
- Managing and overseeing business development budgets; and
- Travel as needed.
- Be a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker who can take ownership of their responsibilities and see them through with minimal oversight.
- Have strong project management skills to be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under pressure while maintaining attention to detail.
- Be proficient in making decisions and adapting to changing work environments.
- Work well in a team environment. The successful candidate will join an existing team of professionals and will be expected to work well with them.
- Be an excellent writer and editor and be able to translate arcane legal topics into plain English, write promotional and educational material from scratch, and to proofread.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills, be able to follow instructions from a diverse group of attorneys and staff, and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact. This requirement includes being politically astute.
- Be proficient at Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and general internet research.
- Be flexible and dedicated. This position often requires more than 40 hours per week and irregular hours.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree (with an emphasis in marketing or business preferred).
- At least six years of experience as a business development/marketing professional at a law firm or comparable professional services organization.
- Experience in and an understanding of the relevant practice areas.
- Proven experience supporting growth and client acquisition.
McCarter & English, LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.