“We believe that teams are stronger if they are built with people who bring different experiences and backgrounds. That’s why we actively recruit and retain the most capable professionals from all walks of life. We work hard to create an inclusive environment that helps our employees and, by extension, our clients succeed.”—MOY OGILVIE, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION PARTNER
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
McCarter is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace with diverse lawyers and professional staff who not only reflect our vibrant clients and communities, but also bring unique talents and perspectives that strengthen our firm and inspire others to succeed—because all voices are valuable. This is one of our greatest strengths and core values.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Committee has members spanning our offices, practices, and departments who work together to bring our mission to life by:
- Bringing an increased focus and urgency to the importance of diversity and inclusion.
- Communicating how diverse perspectives enrich our firm.
- Helping recruit, develop, and advance diverse lawyers and staff.
- Spearheading diversity-related events and partnerships.
We encourage our lawyers to stay actively engaged in their communities and are so proud that in 2019, so many have been recognized by organizations including:
- Omar Bareentto selected as a Fellow of New Leaders Council (NLC) New Jersey
- McCarter & English received the “Most Engaged Company” award from Tri-State Diversity Council, New Jersey Chapter.
- The Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce awarded Judge Jose Linares with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Sheri Pastor named among the ABA Litigation Section’s 100 Women Who Inspire Us.
- Natalie Mantell named a “Professional Lawyer of the Year” by the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law.
- Kristy Avino named by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as a 2019 Top Women of Law.
- Guillermo Artiles was recognized on the ROI Influencers: People of Color 2019 list by ROI-NJ.
- McCarter & English received the Gold Standard Certification from Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF).
- New Jersey Association for Justice presented Judge Jose Linares with the Gerald B. O’Connor Award which honors trial attorneys who demonstrate skill, creativity, and professionalism in their work.
- Simone Wilson-Brito was named a Diverse Attorney of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal.
- Omar Bareentto was honored as a trailblazer in the Muslim legal community at the Rutgers Muslim Law Student Association’s Inaugural Gala.
- The 6th Annual Justice for All Fundraiser honored Guillermo Artiles for his prior service in helping residents of Hudson County, New Jersey to receive much-needed free legal services.
- NJBIZ named Guillermo Artiles to its 40 Under 40 list of New Jersey’s outstanding young business leaders.
- Philip Amoa was a 2019 recipient of the National Bar Association’s “40 Under 40 Nation’s Best Advocates” award.
- Guillermo Artiles received the Advocacy Award from the Hispanic American Chamber of Commerce Foundation of Essex County.
Equal Employment Opportunity
As an Equal Opportunity employer, McCarter & English, LLP offers all individuals equal opportunity for employment and advancement based on their ability and without regard to race, religion, color, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, civil union, domestic partnership status, gender identity and expression, learning disability, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, familial status, genetic information, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, veteran’s status, or other classification or characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training. In addition, the Firm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Advancing Diverse Students and Lawyers
We support diverse students and lawyers to ensure that each person has the opportunity to excel, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
“Diversity is essential to progress, and we are deeply committed to ensuring that McCarter remains a place where everyone can succeed. Our Diversity & Inclusion Committee works tirelessly to ensure that we are always evolving and expanding opportunities for diverse talent. These shared values reinforce our culture of inclusivity, in which we take great pride.”—JOE BOCCASSINI, FIRMWIDE MANAGING PARTNER
Our ten-week Diversity Summer Program exposes first-year law students to the day-to-day life of a practicing lawyer. We engage high-school students and host college interns to expose them to careers in law and public service through several pipeline programs, including the New Jersey Law & Education Empowerment Project (NJLEEP), a peer mediation program with Great Path Academy in Connecticut, and the Citizens School Project in the Boston area. We host career development programs for high-school students through School that Can (Newark), which involves spending a day working with our lawyers and professionals and helping develop their resumes, cover letters, and interview skills. We also host a ten-week paid summer internship with the Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity for college students of color, offer an LSAT scholarship for diverse students, and help students succeed in law school through the Rutgers Law Minority Student Program.
McCarter is focused on the career growth and professional development of our diverse lawyers. We host an annual Diversity Retreat with sessions and speakers who offer timely guidance on topics related to professional development and career advancement. An integral part of our diversity efforts, we offer a Sponsorship Program in which senior partners work directly with midlevel and senior associates to help shape their career path and connect them with colleagues and clients. We also support the involvement of diverse lawyers in state, regional, and national affinity bars, organizations, and groups, and encourage leadership/officer roles within these organizations.
Advancing Women Professionals
McCarter is dedicated to advancing the careers of our women professionals both inside and outside the firm. We have created an environment where everyone is valued, supported, and given an opportunity to succeed. Recognizing that there are several factors that may prevent women from navigating the pipeline to leadership, the Women’s Initiative works closely with firm leadership to foster a positive and supportive environment for women lawyers and professional staff and promotes the advancement of women in the profession. As a result of this steadfast commitment, many of our women professionals hold key leadership positions at the firm and within the legal community. In addition, McCarter has earned the Women in Law Empowerment Forum’s (WILEF) Gold Standard certification—its highest level of recognition for advancing women in the legal industry—for eight years.
A few examples of ways our Women’s Initiative enhances professional opportunities for women in and outside the firm are:
- Providing networking and CLE opportunities for clients and colleagues
- Supporting our lawyers in taking leadership roles in influential women’s organizations and legal organizations
- Supporting career development with dedicated mentors, networking, marketing, and policies that support a work–life balance for all lawyers
Collaborating with Diverse Legal Organizations
Our lawyers and professional staff are actively involved with LGBTQ+, human rights, women, and minority organizations in the legal industry and beyond. We serve in influential leadership positions across many of those organizations, volunteer countless hours, and host events that offer timely presentations and networking opportunities.
Legal and Industry Organizations Supported by McCarterOpen
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Commercial Real Estate Women Network (CREW) – New Jersey & Boston
- Connecticut Hispanic Bar Association
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC)
- Garden State Bar Association
- GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
- George W. Crawford Black Bar Association
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity (LCD)
- LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York (LeGaL)
- Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association Diversity Committee
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Northeast Women in Public Finance
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP)
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)
- The Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia
- The Boston Lawyers Group
- Tri-State Diversity Council
- Women In Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
Nurturing Our Communities
McCarter has fostered growth at the ground level of our vibrant and diverse communities by getting involved with local organizations that align with our diversity and inclusion efforts and implementing pro bono services to meet specific unmet legal needs in each of our regions. We provide employment opportunities within underserved communities by implementing internship programs, hosting workshops that develop critical skills like resume writing and interviewing, fostering an interest in law among inner-city students through mentorship programs, and volunteering for key community programs, including food banks and women’s shelters.