“We believe that teams are stronger if they are built with people who bring different experiences and backgrounds. That’s why we actively recruit and retain the most capable professionals from all walks of life. We work hard to create an inclusive environment that helps our employees and, by extension, our clients succeed.”—MOY OGILVIE, DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION PARTNER
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
McCarter is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace with diverse lawyers and professional staff who not only reflect our vibrant clients and communities, but also bring unique talents and perspectives that strengthen our firm and inspire others to succeed—because all voices are valuable. This is one of our greatest strengths and core values.
Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee has members spanning our offices, practices, and departments who work together to bring our mission to life by:
- Bringing an increased focus and urgency to the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Communicating how diverse perspectives enrich our firm.
- Helping recruit, develop, and advance diverse lawyers and staff.
- Spearheading diversity-related events and partnerships.
Our lawyers stay actively engaged in their communities and work with organizations that champion diversity, equity and inclusion. This list represents recent leadership positions and recognitions our lawyers have earned:
- Moy Ogilvie named to The Hartford Business Journal’s 2021, 2022 and 2023 Power 50 List
- In 2023, Rolan Young was named to the board of directors of the Melville Charitable Trust
- In 2023, Guillermo Artiles was been named a “Top Lawyer Under 40” by The Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- Farhan Ali has been named a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow for 2023 and Alexa Gomez and Miao Yu have been named as Pathfinders to the organizations
- Onome Adejemilua will co-chair the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) Start-Ups Affinity Group
- In 2022, McCarter was one of 43 US-based law firms named to Bloomberg Law’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Framework
- Sarah Delia named to Delaware Business Times’ DBT40 2022
- Maggie Wallach recognized as a Hispanic Leader by Crain’s New York Business 2021
- Simone Wilson-Brito named to ROI-NJ’s 2021 Most Influential DEI Leaders List 2021
- Natalie Watson received the Tri-State Diversity Council’s 2021 LGBTQ+ Leadership Award
- Kevin Li elected to the Board of Directors for the New Jersey Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce
- Onome Adejemilua is a member of the Advisory Board of NJ LEEP
- Stesha Emmanuel named 40 Under 40 by Boston Business Journal
- Philip Amoa elected to the NACD Philadelphia Chapter’s Board of Directors
- Guillermo Artiles serves on the Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey Board of Directors
- Maneesh Gulati is the Director and member of the Steering Committee for the South Asian Bar Association of New York
- Rolan Young is Chairperson of the Board of Directors for New Haven Bank
- Onome Adejemilua is a member of the Board of Trustees of Newark Arts
- Farhan Ali is a member of the National Asian Pacific ABA
- Curtis Johnson is President of the Board of Directors for the Newark School of the Arts
Equal Employment Opportunity
As an Equal Opportunity employer, McCarter & English, LLP offers all individuals equal opportunity for employment and advancement based on their ability and without regard to race, religion, color, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, civil union, domestic partnership status, gender identity and expression, learning disability, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, familial status, genetic information, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, veteran’s status, or other classification or characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training. In addition, the Firm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Advancing Diverse Students and Lawyers
We support diverse students and lawyers to ensure that each person has the opportunity to excel, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
“Diversity is essential to progress, and we are deeply committed to ensuring that McCarter remains a place where everyone can succeed. Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee works tirelessly to ensure that we are always evolving and expanding opportunities for diverse talent. These shared values reinforce our culture of inclusivity, in which we take great pride.”—JOE BOCCASSINI, FIRMWIDE MANAGING PARTNER
We engage high-school students and host college interns to expose them to careers in law and public service through several pipeline programs, including the New Jersey Law & Education Empowerment Project (NJLEEP), a peer mediation program with Great Path Academy in Connecticut, and the Citizens School Project in the Boston area. We host career development programs for high-school students through School that Can (Newark), which involves spending a day working with our lawyers and professionals and helping develop their resumes, cover letters, and interview skills.
McCarter is focused on the career growth and professional development of our diverse lawyers. We host an annual Diversity Retreat with sessions and speakers who offer timely guidance on topics related to professional development and career advancement. An integral part of our diversity efforts, we offer a Sponsorship Program in which senior partners work directly with midlevel and senior associates to help shape their career path and connect them with colleagues and clients. We also support the involvement of diverse lawyers in state, regional, and national affinity bars, organizations, and groups, and encourage leadership/officer roles within these organizations.
Advancing Women Professionals
McCarter is dedicated to advancing the careers of our women professionals both inside and outside the firm. We have created an environment where everyone is valued, supported, and given an opportunity to succeed. Recognizing that there are several factors that may prevent women from navigating the pipeline to leadership, the Women’s Initiative works closely with firm leadership to foster a positive and supportive environment for women lawyers and professional staff and promotes the advancement of women in the profession. As a result of this steadfast commitment, many of our women professionals hold key leadership positions at the firm and within the legal community. In addition, McCarter has earned the Women in Law Empowerment Forum’s (WILEF) Gold Standard certification—its highest level of recognition for advancing women in the legal industry—for eight years.
A few examples of ways our Women’s Initiative enhances professional opportunities for women in and outside the firm are:
- Providing networking and CLE opportunities for clients and colleagues
- Supporting our lawyers in taking leadership roles in influential women’s organizations and legal organizations
- Supporting career development with dedicated mentors, networking, marketing, and policies that support a work–life balance for all lawyers
Collaborating with Diverse Legal Organizations
Our lawyers and professional staff are actively involved with LGBTQ+, human rights, women, and minority organizations in the legal industry and beyond. We serve in influential leadership positions across many of those organizations, volunteer countless hours, and host events that offer timely presentations and networking opportunities.
Legal and Industry Organizations Supported by McCarterOpen
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Commercial Real Estate Women Network (CREW) – New Jersey & Boston
- Connecticut Hispanic Bar Association
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color (CCWC)
- Garden State Bar Association
- GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
- George W. Crawford Black Bar Association
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity (LCD)
- LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York (LeGaL)
- Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association Diversity Committee
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Northeast Women in Public Finance
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP)
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)
- The Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia
- The Boston Lawyers Group
- Tri-State Diversity Council
- Women In Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
Nurturing Our Communities
McCarter has fostered growth at the ground level of our vibrant and diverse communities by getting involved with local organizations that align with our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and implementing pro bono services to meet specific unmet legal needs in each of our regions. We provide employment opportunities within underserved communities by implementing internship programs, hosting workshops that develop critical skills like resume writing and interviewing, fostering an interest in law among inner-city students through mentorship programs, and volunteering for key community programs, including food banks and women’s shelters.