Zlatko “Zack” Hadzismajlovic focuses his practice on international trade, export controls and customs matters as well as U.S. and U.K. immigration and global mobility issues.
Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Export Controls
Zack represents clients in a wide spectrum of controlled defense, dual-use (ITAR, EAR, OFAC) and purely commercial domestic and international trade matters. He has eighteen years of experience counseling clients in a range of industries, including the defense and high-technology sectors, in all manner of national security and export controls issues, including investigations, compliance, investments, technology transfers, and other manner of cross-border transactions. Zack represents clients in CFIUS matters, as well as other foreign control, ownership and influence matters related to foreign investments, including the pre-transaction planning and diligence and post-transaction implementation of mitigation instruments. Specific areas of coverage include:
- representation in matters before a number of federal administrative agencies and tribunals, including OFAC, DDTC, BIS, DCSA, DOHA and CBP
- compliance planning and implementation
- internal and government-directed audits
- risk assessment, due diligence and compliance reviews of entities related to corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions and asset purchases
- FOCI and CFIUS diligence, filing, mitigation planning and implementation
- preparation of WDA/TAAs, licenses, commodity jurisdiction assessments, and directed and voluntary disclosures
- implementation of, and training on, security protocols, export control policies and procedures
- reinstatement and removal from debarred/denied parties’ lists
Customs and Global Trade
Zack advises clients in connection with a wide spectrum of classification, valuation, country-of-origin marking, special duty exemptions, drawback, regulatory audits and compliance assessments, prior disclosure and mitigation of penalty matters. In addition, Zack represents clients before the Court of International Trade, as well as in Made-in-USA claims before the FTC.
U.S. and U.K. Immigration and Global Mobility Counseling
Zack represents employers and entrepreneurs in connection with all aspects of U.S. and U.K. immigration and nationality laws and in investigations and hearings before EOIR, AAO, BIA, federal district courts, and circuit courts of appeals, as well as in investigations conducted by Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Labor. Specific areas of coverage include matters covering preparation and implementation of corporate policies; employment and independent contractor agreements; and pre-employment, employment, transfer and termination advice. He has extensive experience in preparing a range of nonimmigrant and immigrant petitions, including criminal waivers of inadmissibility; national interest waivers; citizenship and nationality matters, including analyzing dual citizenship, relinquishment of citizenship, derivative acquisition of citizenship, and naturalization under special eligibility provisions; and applications for inclusion on the list of American Institutions of Research.