Clients and industry groups have called upon McCarter to represent them on appeal in many of the country’s leading products liability cases.
McCarter has for years taken the lead in developing appellate issues in the asbestos, mass tort and products litigations generally. We have served as appellate counsel for several Fortune 100 clients to assist at trial and address appellate issues as necessary. We have briefed and argued on appeal issues involving such complex areas as:
- product non-identification
- third generation liability
- application of tort reform statutes to toxic exposure cases
- apportionment of liability between concurrent causes of injury
- legal proximate causation in failure-to-warn cases
- the admission of expert testimony
- medical causation
We have acted as amicus counsel for a number of interested parties in the New Jersey litigation on issues involving apportionment, the proof of cross claims and the admission of “company witness” testimony at trial and deposition.
McCarter has been involved in decisions that have directly shaped the course of asbestos and toxic tort litigation and developed appellate strategies to assist in changing the law in jurisdictions nationwide including Illinois and California.